I finally got some issues sorted out with PayPal integration on my RadioMods site, I had been meaning to fix that for about a year!
Realising that I also needed to update my software I spent some time doing that, so it now has updated registration links as well as some new links to this site and my YouTube channel built into its menu system.
I have come across this issue a few times, and always forget what causes it.
If you have a bootable USB flash drive with an OSX installer on it, but it fails to boot showing a not permitted icon this means that it found a boot partition and system to boot from, BUT it could not boot from it, this could be due to it being an incompatible system or more likely, a permissions error.
I have seen lots of good, and bad advice online about this issue, and NOWHERE does it mention the fix I found, so I thought I would document this to help people out.
Mount the USB drive on another mac computer and do a "Get Info", at the bottom it shows the Name of users and "everyone" and what read&write permissions they have for the drive, click the padlock to allow changes, and then change the permission for all users (especially "everyone") to be read&write instead of only "read", make sure "Ignore Ownership on this volume" is checked, then click the padlock to save it and close the window, eject the USB drive and it should now work (if you build the volume correctly in the first place).
I have finished (mostly) the leakage tester project, the final video is scheduled to go live on Saturday morning.
I had a couple of weird issues I had to resolve, I was seeing skewed voltage and current readings at higher levels. The zener diodes that I was using to clamp the inputs of the Arduino as protection were turning on too soon and starting to clamp, effectively changing the resistor divider ratios, I ended up removing the voltage sensing ones, and changing the current sensing one to a 6.2V instead.
The final design will need avalanche diodes, probably 5.6V rated.
I just purchased a 2010 Mac Pro to replace my 2008 Mac Pro (which I had upgraded with a pair of 3.2GHz CPU’s), the machine looks the same outside, but on the inside is a lot better suited to doing videos.
I transferred the various cards into the new machine, and the SSD etc.
The new machine transcodes video in half the time of the old machine, so it was worth the effort and expense.
I did a 46 minutes long test video on both machines, the old machine transcoded it in 65 minutes 15 seconds, the new machine did it in 32 minutes 40 seconds!
The new machine has dual 6 core, 2.93GHz CPU’s, with the possibility of upgrading it with 3.46GHz versions.
I had to work on my dads Mac Pro today as it wouldn't turn on, he was panicking a bit as he had work which he had to do on it (he is a typesetter and printer).
Symptoms were a rapid flashing power LED (approx 1 pulse per second), no startup chime, no screen coming on.
I diagnosed it down to a bad DIMM module, after a lot of swapping modules I was able to determine which one it was.
The modules are installed in pairs, so it had to lose 4GB of ram as they are 2GB modules, fortunately it had 12GB installed (4x1GB and 4x2GB) and he doesn't use it for anything that requires all of the ram anyway, so 8GB will be OK for the time being until I get OWC to send a replacement.
I purchased the modules as a set of 4 in 2013 from OWC, and they have a "lifetime warranty", we shall see if they follow through with it !
The new scope arrived today which I won from Keysight!
It was a prize as part of the Test to Impress section of the 2018 Wave event, I was a finalist in the test to impress contest, they liked what I am doing with my YouTube Channel and wanted to reward me (and the others that were finalists) with a new scope.
I recently did some live streaming on my YouTube channel, they always seem to go on longer than I planned, I was intending to only stream for about an hour each time, but they seem to stretch out to a few hours at times.
Had some good chats with people and got some tips for my new 3D printer, which was great.
I also did some diagnostic work on the HP4261A LCR meter, manage to narrow the fault right down, and fixed it later on that evening (videos will be published for it soon).